Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Why I Really Hate Being Carded & Other Flights of Whimsy


Oh sure in the beginning it’s all fun but after a while it does get old. I get carded for buying cigarettes for crying out loud, state law here is 18, duh I think I really do look older than 18. Of course, this leads to the inevitable comments, such as: “Wow, you’re older than I am,” or “Wow I can’t believe you’re that old” with serious emphasis on ‘that’. “What year did you graduate high school?” “Is that your real age?” Or the loud person that yells out the year loudly and proclaims, “You’re older than my husband/boyfriend or whomever.” Or the person that looks to me to be a hundred years old tells me their age and it’s the same as mine (Okay that one does make feel pretty good). Finally my personal favorite, “Wow! You’re older than my mom.”

Lost in Translation

Somewhere along the way Fredo has gotten out of the habit of putting his play-doh away at night before he goes to bed, or finishes playing, which ever might come first.

Of Mice and Men

It’s no secret Rainbird’s single biggest fear other than seeing a child with a wiggly tooth, is mice, rats or any kind of vermin that doesn’t appear cute. Squirrels are okay because they have those cute tails but I still insist on calling them ‘tree rats.’ Rainbird gets a little peeved with me when say it, on the excuse that they aren’t really rats but squirrels are part of the vermin family of animals.

Anyway, he’s been doing a lot of work in our basement and occasionally hears a scurrying sound in the darker corners. I’ll have to admit, he’s getting much braver about them, and yesterday he sent Piss-boy down there to dig through some boxes. I guess unknown to him in one of those boxes was an old rat Halloween prop, so Piss-boy picks it up by its long tail and shows it to Rainbird. According to Piss-boy, Rainbird only jumped 3 feet into the air, and didn’t scream nearly as loud as he’s done before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My 6 million dollar man (HAHA) is afraid of spiders.