Thursday, March 23, 2006

A New Toy



A few days ago, I decided four years with the same phone was long enough and it was time to upgrade and my new phone, complete with camera arrived yesterday. Since then Rainbird has been playing with it, and showing me how to use all the features, bells and whistles. Now, I really don’t require his assistance in understanding this phone, but he seems to think that only vast amounts of testosterone can comprehend technology.

I passed his test on using it and was finally allowed to input all my information and set things up the way I wanted them. Couple things I don’t like about the phone, one is the base or rather lack of one; my old phone had a base unit that held phone the phone while it was charging. The other thing I don’t care for is that it only has 10 different ring tones and all of them suck. I know I can download more, but I really don’t want to pay for that; remember I’m cheap that way and I know I shouldn’t complain. Besides, I’m not sure I understand thoroughly this whole pay-for-usage thing, what exactly constitutes usage anyway? Does that mean each time someone calls my phone that I’ll have to pay someone else to hear it ring, even if I miss the call because I can’t hear the phone? Knowing me, that could get expensive.

One Of Those Thursday Is Really Friday Days

Today is Thursday but to the kids it’s Friday because there is no school tomorrow and all next week for Spring break. I find it odd growing up and living my entire life around the fact that Spring break comes right before or immediately following Easter this concept of Spring break happening the last week of March, regardless of when Easter is. At least maybe next year we can plan something.

Of course the boys are excited, especially Fredo, who if he’s good today at school with earn a special CD he’s been after me to get for him. Figures he’d be the child to like music but too bad it’s pop crap that I can’t stand. But, he brought home great reports for the past month so I guess he’s earned it. I never thought I’d be the type to bribe my kids like this but it seems to work with him, and to be honest, it doesn’t cost me much, especially since I’ve changed the system. I don’t think he notices either because he also gets instant things that cost little or nothing, for example if his report is exemplary he can watch TV as soon as he’s finished with homework (which is normally just reading). He’s improved enormously on writing his name (he’s got to practice making those “d’s”), and during the week off I’ll be working with him on his phonics of course Mom will have lots of stuff to bribe him with.

Piss-boy is just excited that he won’t have to get up every morning, but I will have to take them both to get hair cuts and I still need to make an appointment to have their portraits taken. I’m a horrible mom that’s never had her children’s portraits taken…Can you believe it? Probably not. It’s true though, I always plan on doing it but then time passes and their hair grows, or they get a booger cold, or something like that and that’s exactly when I think, “you know, I really need to take these kids and get their pictures taken.” A final thing that does annoy me, is that before school I was playing with my camera on the phone and snapped a picture of them, and it came out great. Why is that the one time they take a great picture, it's completely limited to staying on my phone? I won't be sending it to anyone, let alone emailing it to Rainbird, since I pay by the message, I just couldn't see paying so much more a month to send picture or text messages that I won't use. I'm already paying for more airtime than I need. Remember, I'm cheap that way.

Fredo just got home from school and despite the fact that he yelled at his teacher today for some reason that he won’t explain; he’s still earned enough credits to get that CD when it arrives. Unfortunately because of his little yelling episode he won’t be able to watch any TV until this evening, and he won’t get his Happy Meal™ for lunch. I will admit that I am proud of him though somewhat because he didn’t get so thoroughly upset over the one thing that it ruined his entire day, which months ago would certainly been the case.

© 2006

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They did that with our spring break this year . . . actually, way back in the day, I only got Good Friday off, Easter Weekend (obviously) and the Monday after. We NEVER had a full week off from school for "spring break". I think it was because we had some many snow days . . . they changed it the year after I graduated.

They took away the Easter "spring break" last year, but this year, they gave it back (in March??) after taking back "Thanksgiving Break" which is a time of large absences of the male population from school, due to the fact that the Monday before Thanksgiving is the first day of deer gun season . . . . .

Anonymous said...

Fredo has come a long way since September. You should be proud of yourself too, you've done a great job with him.