Thursday, October 09, 2008

Politics Free Thursday

Smells like Autumn Reign

Not exactly that kind of chili, but something happened yesterday, something fitting, yet strange that left me a little happy. I got up in the morning and house was cold, not it's normal cold, but very cold. If I notice it's cold, well it's cold, because I'm normally always warm. So I go downstairs and look at the thermostat and see the reading, I blinked several times and read it again, not trusting what I saw. Then I unceremoniously flipped the button from "off" to "heat" and heard the sound of the furnace firing up for the first time since mid May. I poured myself my first cup of coffee, and went to the computer, and there it was in my email box. An email from Accuweather, who informed me for the next several days our temperatures would be dropping overnight possibly into the 30's. They recommended that I move my "delicate" plants indoors.

I don't mind the idea of having the furnace on in October, and actually I'm a little comforted since I'm not a fan of hot weather. Now that said, I don't like idea of moving my delicate plants (meaning plants in pots), indoors. In fact this year I've decided to clear some out, all together, and replant the pots in the spring. I will do my best to keep my rosemary alive, but the dusty miller can go, it's looking crappy anyway. What I really hate is finding a place for them, because the only place I have room for plants is the garage. Especially with the outdoor variety, which who knows what kinds of creepy crawly things have made their home in the soil.



So, this morning after taking the dog for a walk, putting the little guy on the bus, and drinking my second cup of coffee, I dumped the dusty miller, and sad looking thyme into the garbage. I moved the two rosemary plants inside the house, breaking my own rule, and moved the other also sad looking thyme and equally sad looking Italian parsley into the kitchen.

I left the basil outside since it's on it's last leg, and the peppers the birds seem to be so very fond of. Who knew Stellar Jays absolutely love cayenne pepper and jalapeno. Each time one would start to grow, a Jay would come along and eat it.

So, I guess the heater will just have to stay on now, or at least I won't be turning it off and on anymore manually. This morning I had to turn it on again when my little son came down for breakfast
but on the upside, at least the smell has diminished. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean, it's that annoying, you-haven't-used-your-furnace-for-a-season-smell.

Side Bar

I've added an anonymous polling feature to my blog, which if popular will be updated weekly. Please take the time to vote, and just to mess with my head, you can pick more than one answer.

About Today's Title

I've decided that Thursday will be a politic free day, because I'm tired of all things politics, unless something HUGE happens that must be talked about Thursday will remain about everything else. Like the idea that the child formerly known as Fredo is doing much better in school but the other child formerly known as Piss-Boy is a typical teen complete with eye rolling and sighing at every little thing.






© 2008 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

Judy said...

That chili looks good! Too bad it won't be cold here for heaters and chili until around February, hahaha.

Which is why we grow bananas, oranges and limes in our yard.

Abby said...

And here I am all dressed up with no place to go (translated: new furnace,temps in the 70's). Supposed to freeze this weekend, though. Bring it on!

Fredo and Piss-Boy sound pretty typical to me.

Anonymous said...

Fredo and Piss-boy are BACK!