Thursday, October 23, 2008

But It's My Job...


When You're an Adult, Then You Can Be Mean

Those very words were uttered to my 14 year old Piss-Boy when I not-so-politely asked him for the millionth time to empty the dishwasher. It's his job and unlike the bathroom, I'm not going to let him off the hook about it. I don't have a set schedule for running the dishwasher, except to say when it's full, or we've run out of glasses I run it. It could be in the afternoon, morning or night, who knows when it will be full--I can't predict the future. Though, I'm not entirely sure that I can't make the hot tub go on with my mind (I'll get to that later). Though I'm good at reading my kids minds I'm not psychic and I won't be called to Hollywood to appear on a psychic detective show.

I Taut I Taw a Puddy Tat

Okay Fredo didn't use those words exactly but he did say, "Mom, I see a cat sitting on a log out side." We have several downed trees in our area from various windstorms and there plain as day was my nightmare cat returned from last year. This was the cat that for some reason felt I was a soft touch and would feed it, if it meowed in a cute way. It almost had me too but my dog went into a jealous rage over the very notion. But the cat is very cute and very Sylvester looking, with his white chest, whiskers and feet. And seems rather friendly all the while maintaining his natural aloof behavior, as if he doesn't care if I feed him or not. But who is he fooling?

Actually, we've been seeing many cats around, one with a raccoon-ish looking ringed tail, another pure orange and Sylvester. I haven't seen mailbox cat in well over a year now and consider maybe MBC didn't survive the winter. Mailbox cat was by far the friendliest, and just wanted so much to belong to someone, at least when I first met him/her. MBC would run up to me when I got the mail out of the box, wrapping itself around my legs and loudly purr. I know a neighbor was providing MBC shelter during the winter months, I guess I can hope that it adapted to the home and decided not to leave it.

Cats are by nature such curious creatures, almost an enigma. One minute you're the best thing that's happened since their last feeding, but then again, you're not and cats will always remind you of this. If the house down the street gives better treats, they'd just as well live there. There is something about their temperment that if they choose you, and really choose you, they are quite forgiving. But still something under the surface reminds you that if you aren't nice enough on their terms, they will leave you. It makes you want to do more.

Am I Psychic or Just Psycho?

So, yesterday I was cleaning out my big bathtub, scrubbing it, then cleaned the shower (yes this boring but important so pay attention). The dog was running around, so I went downstairs and let him out. The air outside was crisp and cool, but the sun was shining so I lingered outside waiting on the dog to do whatever it was he wanted to do. As I stood out there, looking at the trees gently swaying in the breeze, listening to the sounds of the birds chirping, and the leaves falling, the dog returned, running into the house. I remained outside thinking about returning to the bathroom and thought to myself I should fill the tub and run those jets. I've taken several baths, but have used bubbles and I'm told bubbles and the jacuzzi jets don't mix. So I'm thinking about running those jets when I hear this noise coming from the back yard.

Several seconds ticked by before I realized the sound was coming from Mr. Ranter's $7,000 planter box. Or what normal people call the Hot Tub. I went down and shut it off, and told Mr. Ranter the story when he came home. He looked at it, well lifted the lid, turned it on, turned it off and said everything seemed fine. I told him what I was thinking when the tub spontainously turned its self on. With a sheepish look on my face I asked him if he thought I made it go on with my mind.

Once he stopped laughing, he dashed my dreams and said it was probably the main control pad, which was recently replaced.

It hasn't done it since, at least that I'm aware of, so I'm not convinced I didn't make it happen.

Stupid Scary Movies

I need a few ideas for stupid scary to rent over the next week or two. Just those movies that are vaguely entertaining. Last night my Mom's movie Night selection was The Little Girl That Lives Down the Lane. Starring Jodie Foster and Martin Sheen, it's a mid 70's thriller about a teen aged girl who keeps up a charade that her father is still alive after his untimely death. Piss-boy actually enjoyed it (I know it kinda defeats the whole Mom's Movie Night premise but I had nothing else to watch and was fairly confident I wouldn't want to watch it twice...

So, anyone have any ideas on other movies to rent?



© 2008 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

Abby said...

I say you turned that hot tub on with your mind. Could you start thinking about cleaning my toilets?

We took care of a stray cat once about 9 years ago. He's still here.

I've got "Disturbia" on for this week's movie, except the husband will watch it with me. I better pad up, he's a jumper when it comes to scary movies.

Judy said...

I totally miss my hot tub! TOTALLY!

Dan said...

Santa Claus vs. the Martians.

Horrible and scary all rolled into 1 (esp. the fact that people paid $ to make it and expected people to pay $ to see it).

Cloverfield is the best current monster movie I've seen in ages (for reals).

Dan said...

And PS...
I always do all the chores that Ariel assigns to me.

This Bumble Monster likes his happy home!!