Friday, October 24, 2008

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men Often Go Arwy

Ethay Arterstay Otshay

You might recall on Monday, I posted about our adventures getting the flu shot. Well, as it turns out, the shot we all received wasn't exactly good. By 'good' I don't mean toxic or deadly it's just not good. Apparently the hospital got a batch of the flu shots that were shipped too cold, and virus held inside didn't survive the cold temperatures to provide the needed immunity. So that first shot we're now referring as the Starter Shot. We're all not happy about it, and of course I knew Fredo would be the most upset but he actually understood, and that coupled with the promise of ice cream after seems to be okay with going again.

I told Piss-boy about it and his only response was, "uckfay." My eyebrow arched at hearing him say that but to his credit he didn't exactly say the other word...just pig Latin version. My eyes lowered and soon I found myself uttering, "uckfay" too. Somehow it just seems appropriate.

Of Birds and Windows


Yesterday as you can tell just wasn't a great day, though it wasn't exactly a bad day either. While unloading the bags of groceries I purchased at the super cheap but somehow sad place, I heard a small bang on the window. I waited a few minutes before venturing outside to see if anything was still around. A small bird laid on his back but I could tell it was still breathing so I closed the door and returned inside to wait a few minutes. As per the directions received previously by our local Audubon society, I waited 15 minutes and again checked, the bird was still on his back, but also still breathing. So, I went into the garage and got a box, put an old sweatshirt of Fredo's in the bottom of it, and went back outside. I gingerly picked up the bird with a gloved hand, and put it upright into the box, covered it lightly and returned into the house.

I waited the customary amount of time (roughly an hour and half) before returning outside, normally I'd find the box empty but the bird was still inside. It hadn't moved but was still very much alive and somewhat startled at my opening of the box. I closed the lid again and left the box alone for another hour. When Fredo came home from school together this time we peaked into the box and the bird was still there in the same position and still alive, so I called the Audubon society and relayed to them the story. They said they'd call back and let me know when someone could pick up the bird. I checked on the bird an hour or so later and the bird had moved but was still inside the box. A short while someone from the Audubon society called me back, and said he was sorry but no one could pick the bird up until the next day. I explained that the bird had moved in the box to a different spot and he seemed encouraged. He said to call back just before the office closed to give him an update.

About 15 minutes to 5 I looked outside again and the bird wasn't in the box but instead had moved to the lawn. I called them back and they said that it was unusual for a bird to still hang out that long, so I should poke some air holes into the box, put in a warm towel, some water, and put the bird back in it, and then cover the box with another towel to thwart the efforts of the bird to escape. Dutifully I did as told, punching several holes into the box, adding a nice but old fluffy towel, and some water, then I returned outside and found the bird in the same spot.

I tried to get the bird into the box but it had other ideas and hopped away from me, I continued to pursue it but soon it was out of the front yard and into the much vaster green space adjacent our house. I called them back just a minute before they closed for the night, explained that they didn't need to come, the bird had left. They were happy the bird was able to get away and to call them back if it did return.

A before dusk settled in I ventured again outside, and saw what I believe to be that bird, I stepped closer and it again hopped away, I carefully took another step and flew into the air landing on a nearby tree.

Damn thing didn't even thank me. But upon further inspection of that old sweatshirt, it did leave some crap behind...I guess that's enough.

© 2008 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved



3 comments:

Judy said...

Ugh - ANOTHER flu shot? I'd be beyond pissed!

My boys may or may not get them this year - after Shotville 2008 this week, I'm not sure I'll ever get Tyler back near a needle again! And I am NOT paying for the flu mist this year - our insurance doesn't cover it, but I didn't find that out until AFTER I got it for him last year! Eeks!

Abby said...

I'm wondering if maybe they just shouldn't have told you about the ineffective shot and just let the placebo effect keep you immune. Naaaah, it's probably better this way. "Uckfay", hmm, handy. I wonder if I can say that despite my cussing abstinence.

That bird must've really hammered your window!

Dan said...

Better luck with the shots this time around.