Monday, October 13, 2008

The Happiest Place On Earth

Dateline: Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest

The boy formally known as Piss-boy needed shoes for school. I promised him a few weeks ago that we would go and get shoes but it wasn't high on his priority list so he didn't mention it again. On Friday, I knew the man formally known as Rainbird, said to me that he had Friday off and was taking his parents to a Indian Gaming place they love to visit. I glanced at my calendar and ascertained that the children were also off from school.

I made the decision while he was out with his folks, we'd do a little something to help the economy.

When the Going Gets Tough; The Tough Goes to Tarjay

We walked through the doors of our Newly remodeled Tarjay a feeling of warmth surrounded me, truly Target, is Disneyland for moms, except with better prices and shorter lines. We made our way to the shoe area in the back of the store, and started looking for tennis type shoes for Piss-boy. I turned around and saw a whole row of snow boots, for kids going to adults...and every possible size in between. I immediately set out finding snow boots for the child formally known as Fredo and it only took me a few minutes to find a pair that fit him.

Then I thought to myself, I need snow boots too, so I started looking over the women's selections and there they were.

Everything Old is New Again

On the shelf, beside the faux fur lined snow shoes was a gray snow boot with a pink lining that caught my eye. My mind drifted back to a time when my hair was bigger and my rear was smaller. It reminded me of high school and my best friend's 16th birthday when we both decided to wear pink mini skirts with pink and gray tops. Naturally pink with gray mocs completed the ensemble We looked so cute. I recall her cousin was upset because my friend didn't tell her about our clothing choices and felt left out.

Not at all deterred the whimsical thoughts of the past, I tried them on, they felt warm and toasty but a little bit big, but I decided that I could just steal a pair of Rainbird's extra thick socks to add further cushion. I snapped them up.

Yes the years have changed me, my hair isn't big anymore and my rear has grown considerably, but some things just never change.

Easy Like Sunday Morning

I really do enjoy the Autumn season, there is something about cool temps and crisp air, the colors and stores setting up their Christmas displays? Well, yeah, I went to our local home improvement center (read: Mega-chain) to look for a duster with a telescoping pole for my mother in law. There by the door where the fall and Halloween stuffs were formally located, was about 3 aisles of Christmas stuff. Those HUGE inflatable things that you put in front of your house, the super-sized sleighs with a waving Santa.

I did walk up and down the aisles looking at the various wares, when I saw a HUGE Frosty the Snowman...I'm a sucker for Frosty. It must be a "real" Frosty, not just any old snowman with a silk hat, scarf and button eyes. What's funny is that you know a real Frosty when you see him, because, well duh, he looks like Frosty.

Countdown to the Holidays

Some people do Spring cleaning, but I prefer Autumn cleaning. Over the next several weeks I'll start decluttering the house of all the junk we've accumulated since Spring. The goal is to make cleaning easier when the holiday's are in full force and I have no time for it. I will admit some rooms will be easier than others, but I'm sure it will be worth the effort. As long as everyone doens't start cluttering them back up again.

I've also started our Christmas shopping, though this year will be lighter, each kiddo getting a few things they really want rather than a hundred things they don't.

Congratulations

To my Bumble Buddy who just this past weekend got engaged to his matchdotcom girl!! Congrats to you both.

© 2008 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved


1 comment:

Judy said...

It's the "cluttering back up" again part of post-cleaning that drives me bananas.

I cleaned the house, top to bottom, this weekend. It was destroyed within 30 minutes of the boys getting back from their fishing trip.

GAH!