Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Latest Obsession


Is with the iTunes store. I should be growling because this is such a thing that Rainbird would do, but instead it's me doing it. A friend recently was talking about downloading music and I thought that's just silly. Then I started thinking about it, I mean I love music but how many countless groups have albums (yes I'm old and still call them albums) with only one or two good songs on them? How many completely perfect albums are there really? Sgt. Pepper? Incredibly perfect, Rubber Soul? Yes that's an example. Black Sabbath's Paranoid? Yes another great example of a perfect album. AC/DC's Back in black, another album that every single song is fantastic. Who's Next, Who Are You, are other examples. Led Zeppelin's 1st and 2nd albums also could make the list. Montrose's first album (the one with Sammy Hagar singing). Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. Pink Floyd had a few great albums like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and the Wall. The point is these are all albums that it's difficult to pick out a song or two because the whole thing is so good. You're better off buying the whole thing, rather than wasting the nickels and dimes buying songs one at a time.

I can't count live albums because those normally have the bands great songs on them anyway (or at least should), aside from that only a handful of pefect live albums exist anyway (the mix normally sucks). On the other hand, most studio albums have one or two really good songs on them, most groups fall into this category, with maybe the exception of the Beatles. Groups I love but would never pay for the entire album include, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Traffic, Rolling Stones (except Tattoo You and Beggar's Banquet), David Bowie, not to mention thousands of One Hit Wonders with songs that I love like Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass. Who the hell remembers them? Oh Them, they did the song G-l-o-r-i-a. Mountain had maybe two hits, Its a Beautiful Day, one good song, America had two, maybe three, but not enough to even buy a compilation album. Then of course Seals and Crofts, Jim Croce, Climax, Three Dog Night, just to name a few. Probably if I sit and think, a lot of Motown stuff too. I could really go on.

So this leads to the newest obsession of paying a dollar and downloading a song, I've downloaded 15 songs so far and I keep thinking of more to download. Rainbird should be scared but I think he's too stupid to be afraid. Or rather, maybe I should fear he'll jump on the download bandwagon and then I'd be scared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

try limewire.com still free to download there