Monday, February 06, 2006

Fredo News


Did you know that they have summer school for Kindergarten, well they didn't in the school district in California (there they didn't begin summer school until 3rd grade), but they do here! I'm rather floored at the idea but any extra help Fredo can get will be good but we'll be giving up the whole summer for it. I'm not going to say anything until the parent/teacher conference next month to anyone except for Rainbird, who already is not thrilled. The upside, if there is one, is that he is showing some improvement, though slow and the teacher wants to move him away from the looking at her thing toward the participation in class thing. For now he'll bring home two reports then eventually just one until we get that under control, then we'll move him further I'm sure.

The teacher will also start sending home additional work for him to do, to augment the classroom work but she admits 1st grade without all this help will be a struggle so I'll likely at some point be shelling out money for a tutor or something. What I'm going to do with him at home is make him speak clearly for things he wants and ignore him when doesn't speak clearly. Since he can speak and relate things that happen to him. This will be a good tool, at least I hope. I'm also going to add a few small chores for him to complete, which will be rewarded on weekends with something special.

I see so much improvement in him--he's actually starting to write his name (okay he doesn't get all the letters but he gets most of them), and we'll continue working on things at his pace but its going to be slow and I have to remember that. He's going to write his name on every Valentine for his class, I'll write the other ones--I told his teacher that and she thought it was a great idea.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

It seems like you have a teacher that will work with you.

Whimsical Ranter said...

We have a team. The speech therapist, the woman in charge of special ed and the school counselor/therapist.