Wednesday, November 09, 2005

It's Just Another Day

What a week I've had and it's not over yet. I guess, my week started last Friday when Fredo woke abruptly at 3:30 AM screaming that his mouth hurt. I really thought he just didn't want to go to school or maybe had a bad dream, in any event I was awful to him, I yelled a lot, I bribed, but nothing seemed to work. I guess I'm tired of the kid complaining about going to school but something should have said that this was different. What was I thinking??? Likely that I wanted to go back to sleep. Rainbird, left at 5 AM for the airport, and I was still debating mentally what if anything I could to shut up this screaming child. At 6AM, when he still hadn't gone back to sleep, I went upstairs, giving up any hope of him still going to school (at this point I was even considering driving them both in, so they could get more sleep), to talk to Piss-boy. Piss-boy was tired, and hadn't slept much since 3:30, so I asked him if he wanted to stay home and he actually thought about it, knowing full well, he'd miss his spelling test, work for the day. Roughly 10 minutes later, he told me that he'd just skip the day and make-up the work later. At 7AM, I was relaxing and still dealing with Fredo, I had tried to look into his mouth but I couldn't see anything because he wouldn't open his mouth wide enough. I was still angry with him, but was noticing finally that he was off. I asked him if he wanted some juice, he'd take a sip and say no; I asked him if he wanted food, with the same result. Finally he said his ear hurt. I called the doctor's office and got him an appointment at 8:40 AM that morning. At the doctor's office they weighed him, and took his temperature, he weighed the same as he did in February, when he had his check-up, so I know he's lost weight. The other thing, his temperature was up to 101.2. It was then I looked for a rock to crawl under. The doctor tried to look in his ears, but couldn't because of his hard wax build up. He had to have his ears cleaned. I was surprised to see a large lima-bean sized rock come out of his ear on both sides. OMG. Did I mention his toe nails are too long too??? I guess it was a good thing though, his ears were actually clear with no sign of infection. The doctor considered that perhaps it was caused by an abscess in his gum and prescribed an antibiotic. Now, Fredo does not take medicine well, or at all. Tears erupt over the thought., so I considered my options and prayed the meds could be mixed with orange juice. After speaking to the pharmacist, and finding out that it can indeed be mixed with anything, including Orange Juice, we left to buy a happy meal, but poor Fredo, couldn't eat it. I didn't eat much either. Piss-boy enjoyed his lunch.

After spilling the first dose down his shirt, I'd given up, and put in orange juice and threatened him with another trip to the doctor unless he drank it all. He did, and took a nap.

Friday night he drank the second dose, and after sleeping off and on all day, was still groggy but awake at 11PM, so I moved him into our bedroom, turned on Cartoon Network, and told him he was sleeping there, which he did without arguing. Each time I woke that night, he was awake watching TV with one eye open.

Saturday, I was exhausted, and Fredo hadn't eaten anything all day but by Sunday, he started asking for food, toast or hot bread with butter as he calls it. Monday, his appetite improved but he was still waking during the night crying that his mouth hurt, so I called the dentist, just to be sure that nothing else was going on. That appointment was yesterday and the dentist said he's getting one of his molars, and likely that caused the pain and possibly infection. His gums are no longer swollen, and he's eating much better.

The past two nights, he's slept through, so today I bit the bullet and sent him to school. Of course that wasn't without argument, but now the house is quiet and hopefully, he'll be fine, I really don't want him to miss out watching TV. I did promise him a happy meal again today, because mostly, he has to gain some weight (laughs).


No comments: