Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Fredo Update and Other Random Musings


Well Fredo is doing a little better though it seems one step forward and two steps to the side. We finally got him passed his shitting-in-the-garbage can phase and now we've moved onto the I-don't-wanna-ride-the-school-bus-home phase. Like I said, one step forward, which is; now he's looking at his teacher and understands that it's important that he do so. My inlaws don't understand why the teacher is making an issue out of it but we do and that's really all that matters. Grandparents don't want to believe their grandchildren aren't perfect anyway, so this doesn't surprise me. Anyway, for the next couple days Fredo has a substitute teacher at school so it's a good practice for him to continue looking at the teacher. I'll pick him up from school tomorrow and maybe Friday, then we'll see if we can work out some sort of reward for him at home for riding the bus.

I really expected a more gradual change, on Monday we had a meeting at the school and Fredo made eye contact with everyone in the room, much to the teacher's surprise. I don't think the teacher believed us when we told her that he makes and sometimes demands eye contact and in any event the autism thing is taken off the table. For the past couple weeks the teacher has been sending home notes about his behavior that include letting me know if he's looking at his teacher. 3's mean he's not looking at his teacher, ignoring reminders, etc., and 1's mean that he is looking at his teacher with few reminders. Obviously, two is somewhere in the middle. I should mention, he's never brought home a 1. Normally there's 3's peppered with a 2's. Yesterday, Tuesday he brought home his note, and it was all 1's! I was impressed, I squeezed the kid so hard, hugging him, he complained. Today, was mostly 1's with a couple 2's so that's still pretty good. Today, also marked the beginning of the bus troubles, so I guess we're on the right track.

Today, Fredo and I spent sometime working on his letters. We ran though a few flash cards, and then worked on writing the letter "B". I was trying to get him to understand the process of making the letter, not just copying it any old way and expecting him to learn. He was getting cranky with me, but I kept going. Rainbird told me I was being mean to him, and I let him take over, within a minute or two he was yelling, caught himself and said in a flat tone that he wasn't questioning me ever again. Of course, this just reinforced in me the very fact that I could NEVER homeschool this kid, honestly, I think we'd kill each other or at the very least hate each other. Not in that good, no you can't go to the party because I don't know the other kid's parents, but in the really bad way that screams Michael Jackson or the Door's song The End.

I promised other random musings, so here are a few to chew on.

  • My Frosty the Snowman action figure outside appears to be either drunk or blowing the Christmas Tree beside him.
  • Rainbird consistently wakes the dog each night when he farts right before coming to bed, causing the dog to run around the house barking, apparently searching for the dead animal that crawled up his ass.
  • Rainbird knows nothing of hanging holiday lights and is really apparently color blind.
  • Piss-boy really needs to understand that spelling does count on a spelling test.
  • My mother in law got a catalog in the mail today called International Male, apparently, they carry padded underwear for men.
  • I'm afraid of Claymation. It's true, when I was little and watched Santa Claus Is Coming to Town I was scared to death of the Burger Meister, Meister Burger. I think it was the clay. I kept imagining Santa melting like the witch from the Wizard of Oz.
  • I'm not sure if it will ever snow like the weather people keep threatening.






No comments: