Monday, October 16, 2006

Obladi, Oblada Life Goes On...Ohhhh


When Did Everyone Get So Stupid?

I don't have a large extended family, really just a few aging people; my husband Rainbird is different, with his family size much larger. My family, the old ones (keyword: OLD) think they know everything. Now years ago (keyword: Long fucking time), gift certificates were on paper and good for a few months or maybe a year after they were issued. That changed more than a decade ago in California when the state Supreme Court determined that gift certificates could NEVER expire (key phrase: as long as there is a California).

Now this brings you to my family, who all do still reside in California, but are also convinced it's 1948 instead of 2006. Case in point, I gave my grandma a gift card for her birthday this year (a dollar per year…pretty clever of me, huh?) and she never used it. She was afraid to because she didn't understand that she could just take it somewhere [read: ANY FUCKING PLACE VISA is accepted] and use it. It was active, I know this because the receipt I had said so.

I talked to her today and she tells me that she called the company and they're sending her a check for 40 dollars…I ask her what for and she said that's all the card was worth. I asked her if she bought anything. She said no. So, what the fuck is going on. I ask her for the number on the card, she gives me her regular credit card number. Like a big fucking stupid I call the company prepared to bitch them out, when I realize they know nothing because it's a regular Visa number.

I call Grandma back, and come to find out that she threw it away because she had too long and some fucking genius in my family said it wouldn’t' work anymore. This is coming from the same people that keep calling and say things like, "I didn't know Hawaii had earthquakes." When I tell them that they have them here too,

This is coming from the same people that keep calling and say things like, "I didn't know Hawaii had earthquakes." When I tell them that we have them here too, they argue with me, telling me that they've never heard of earthquakes up here. Well jeeze that's a big fucking load off for me because if they've never heard of earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest, obviously they've never fucking occurred.

Am I Missing Something?


I'm not one to defend anything the material one does, but if Bradelina can adopt an African baby and the child's father has no issue, why is there a fuss? Are they worried that more weathly Hollywood actors will go to Africa and adopt orphaned children? Maybe Dan or Tracey has posted something about this to enlighten me.

This Just Isn't Me

I don't mind cleaning, except when Rainbird gets on my ass about it after a couple grimy stairs comments, I cleaned them. Then he started bitching about other crap and the next thing I know I'm cleaning out drawers and getting rid of old clothing. Why? Well because he wanted me do other things and I figured if I clean out my dresser drawers I'd have more room for clothes. Of course that will require shopping. What is strange about all this, is that I'm starting to enjoy cleaning. I don't know if that is the right way of wording it but I'm afraid it's a way to stave off boredom, but that said, I can't help to feel that somehow Rainbird is winning.

© 2006 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved


1 comment:

BUMBLE!!! said...

I'll have to get to the "buying" of African children by socially conscious Hollywood types at some point, but you're letting me hear it for the first time and Tracey appears busy with school (as I am too, but not too busy to do some posting).

I didn't know it was illegal to have an expiration date on gift cards either. I remember 1-2 year dates depending on where I was. I never had a problem using any GC within a week or so of receiving it - especially ones for a massage. They're the bomb diggity.

As for earthquakes, hell, we have 'em in SInking Spring, Pa. 2 in the past 15 years. If we get 'em, then the "ring of fire" definitely has them.

All the same, there is probably a message about respecting our elders (as we hit our head on a drywall to keep from getting permanent damage).