Monday, November 17, 2008

Just Another Monday

Not Ready For Prime Time or Prime Rib

As I mentioned Saturday the family went out to lunch, though the location was a surprise, the reason wasn't, it was to celebrate this Ranter's birthday (which is actually today). The place we went to was fairly upscale, and the food was very good but I have to say my family has the WORST table manners. Think about an early Simpson episode showing the family gathered around the table when Lisa still ate meat and you'll get the idea. If you don't watch the show just imagine people shoveling food into their mouths.

Looks like I need to plan a fancy dinner at home to teach my family some lessons on table manners. Now that being said, the kids are well behaved in most situations and eating establishments, they just lack the refinement. There was sleeve to nose action, ignoring the cloth napkin in lieu of pants or shirt, little nitpiky things that would make a mom crazy. Like Fredo, who ordered a hamburger but decided he didn't like the bun, so picked the meat up and ate that with his fingers. Even dipped it in ketchup. Pissboy was no better in his table manners shoveling large..too large forkfuls of salad into his mouth and chewing like a cow. Rainbird did maintain himself, and kicked children when appropriate but that led to usual loud voice..."why did you kick me?"

Yeah it was a proud moment for me, but thankfully it was just lunch and not dinner and I'm equally thankful we ate early before the place was crowded. Now that I know what needs to be done I can work on it at home. Table manners 101.

Now, I will have to say Fredo did surprise me this morning, first thing he said when he came downstairs this morning was "Happy Birthday Mom." I was kinda blown away because normally in the hustle and bustle of the mornings, I'm lucky to get a hello out of either kid. Fredo gets up very early to catch the 7:20 bus, so that was the best gift. I'm serious, I'm getting teary eyed just writing about it. Pissboy got up, told me that I have to wash his hoodie because he got something weird on it, his bird is running low on food, and he needs more toothpaste. He did say his usual, "by mom, love ya see ya later," as he walked out the door. I'll just pretend he said happy birthday.

I'll admit it I have a love/hate thing about birthdays and I'm surprised at myself for spending so much time on this, because really I don't care that much. It's nice to have my birthday acknowledged, but I dunno. Okay, I'm pissed. I'm pissed off that Pissboy asked me last night what I wanted for my birthday, I'm pissed off that his father said NOTHING. I just told him it was a little late to be asking that--I mean for fucks sake my birthday is today.

If I waited until the day before to plan what to give any of them....Ohmyfuckingod, they'd feel so unloved and would be so pissy about it...but it's okay when it's just 'Mom's' birthday. I know everyone is just focused on the great turkey dinner I'm going to prepare next week but still.

Pissboy is very artistic, he could have made me a card, though he is totally old enough to say to his father, I want to get mom something for her birthday, can you drive me to the mall. Might have given his father the much needed kick in the ass he deserves too. I'm sorry going to the store and buying a card on the day of someone's birthday isn't a great thing either unless it is an office buddy...it's an afterthought.

I know we/I let men off easy when it comes to that kind of stuff, like waiting until the last minute and we've all seen florist shops packed to the gills with men picking out just about anything on Valentines Day so they don't go home empty handed. Or the joke about men going to shop for the wives/mothers/girlfriends on Christmas Eve and that's because for a lot of men it's true. But don't they understand what they are really saying is, "I don't really give a crap but will do it to get her off my back for another year." Heavy emphasis on the I really don't give a crap part.

Anyway, today I'm going out for lunch again, this time with my mother in law, who has gifts for me. We're going to a Mexican place where all the money is put into the food and none is spent on atmosphere. I have no idea what I'm going to cook for dinner tonight. I

I can't believe I actually care....but then again...Fredo did wish me a Happy Birthday.

© 2008 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved


4 comments:

Judy said...

Hey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I know what you mean about the whole "it's just Mom's birthday" thing. I do the bake-the-cake thing, the plan-the-day thing for everyone else, and I get laundry and dirty dishes in return.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday...to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday...
Happy birthday...
Happy birthday to you!!!

I was singing in my most beautiful voice there!!!

Cheers to more good health...happiness and success!

I memorize people's birthdays...and I wish I've known yours earlier...is too late to ask if you have a PO Box? *hint*

Whimsical Ranter said...

Thanks so much Judy, I knew I wasn't alone.

Mariposa-- Being sung to is just the thing I needed today!

Abby said...

Happy Birthday!! - a day late, I notice, but I somehow didn't make it over here yesterday.

I know what you mean about Mom's birthdays. I pretty much just gave up years ago. If I want presents and/or cake, I have to get them myself. Not so much fun. If the tables were turned, there'd be hell to pay.