Friday, October 19, 2007

A Few Good Rambles

All About The News

Ever notice on the local and cable news channels when there is something big going on (or they feel it's big because it's only thing worth talking about at the moment) they give it a terse title, like "Killer Bug"? Killer Bug of course refers to the staff infection, which caused several schools back east to be closed and scrubbed down. Now I'm not trying to downplay this, since one student, apparently healthy at that, died, but still, I'd hardly classify it as an out and out epidemic of biblical proportions. Is it really worth the Killer Bug tagline?

Is The War To Blame?

With everything going on in the world, with Iraq, the lackluster economy, people losing their homes in foreclosures, which are all real issues, does the media seem to go out of their way to talk about non issues. Is that why Ellen and Britney seem to grip the headlines? Britney loses custody of her children (again) and they interrupt with that bit of breaking news. I was watching a cable news channel, and they were discussing all the foreclosures when the Britney's news broke, and the newscaster (I use that term lightly) actually asked the person she was interviewing what he thought about that. Who the fuck cares? The media seems though to glob onto every single non-story trying to blow them up into something bigger…is it because they're bored with the current news? Maybe.

Okay I admit it, I'm tired of the war, I'm tired of Iraq, and I'm sick to death of Iran, North Korea and now I might be ready to add Russia to that list, well at least Putin. I'm tired of the election and I'm almost to the point that I don't care who gets elected because I just see the whole thing as a sham anyway. And I'm tired of Ellen and the dog, Britney and the kids, and I don't want to hear anything about Lindsay, Paris or anyone that has gotten famous because of the sex tape release.

It's Only Because I Love You

Why is it that some men insist on growing a mustache that resembles dirt on their face? Today I lunched with a dear friend, and finally after being mesmerized with his upper lip, gathered the courage to ask him if he had a dirty Sanchez. My friend glared at me from across the table and explained he doesn't do that and finally offering that it was indeed a moustache, to which I laughed. While he didn't find the comment funny, later when I ran into him at local market, he was there buying a roasted chicken, I did notice he shaved. I didn't bother telling him that the chickens at that particular market are really tasteless. He'll find out that on his own.

Okay, maybe I should have told him about the chicken and left the condition of his upper lip alone.

© 2007 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved


4 comments:

Judy said...

Don't I know how tired I am with the media's garbage. Where is some REAL news? Why is everything uber-urgent? Makes me want to...well...play on the computer, haha.

BUMBLE!!! said...

I gotta say, when I shaved the beard and did the pictures of the Ambrose Bierce and just the mustache (you can see them on my myspace and further down on my blog), I really looked like some kind of 80's scum. That said, if you're my dad's age, you can do it. If you're under 40 - forget it.

On the note of Ellen (a topic I didn't cover because I truly hate her annoying sense of humor and don't want to give doggie credence), can't we let the rabid poodles eat her?

Maybe it's just me, but still.

As for Britney losing the kids... I didn't touch on that because it wasn't a surprise.

All that's left is the taboo dead pool conversation (or at least the first 15 red bull overdose).

Anonymous said...

I hardly even watch TV news anymore, it's all so silly.

You commented on a possible "dirty sanchez" during a LUNCH?

Anonymous said...

"..growing a mustache that resembles dirt on their face?" - **dave covers his face in shame and bolts out the door sobbing**

LOL - that was funny. And I forgive thee :-)