Wednesday, June 13, 2007

There is a Cure for the Summertime Blues




Is It Time Yet?

That's question I'm growing increasingly weary answering, well that and "how many more days?" as constantly queried by Fredo. As of tomorrow at 2:15 PM the boys will be free from the rigors of getting up early, having to worry about homework, and onto endless hours of TV watching and video game playing, especially for the older son. I know, he should be going outside and playing, getting dirty and exploring the world, but he's not that kind of kid and never has been.

Going To War

A few years ago, I mentioned to my husband that the older kid would like a Game Cube, and he instantly replied, "no, I don't think he needs one, he needs to be outside more." I reminded husband that the weather was inclement (we were living in the San Francisco Bay Area at the time) and who wants to play outside in that. What was the kid going to do, run outside at 5PM when the weather cleared and stay outside for an hour until the fog rolled back in? This was the same child that dressed himself in preppy shirts and simple black pants for school when the rest of his classmates were wearing shorts, and tank tops, in the 50-degree temperatures. He's the kind of kid that always has his jacket in case the weather turns poorly. He has about as much interest in sports as I do and is probably just as bad at them. He's never learned to ride a bike because he had no interest in riding one and prefers to take walks. Not to mention he throws a ball like a girl and is even worse at catching one. But most importantly, this kid of mine never asks for anything. I'm not kidding, I could take him to Toys R us, and tell him he could have anything in the store and he'd walk out with NOTHING! I know this because I've tried it several times. The only things the kid has ever asked for are the Game Cube, years later he asked for some Pyrates Mega Block sets, and games both video and board games, Nick magazine, special art paper to draw on, colored pencils, crayons and things related to drawing, and a large desk for his room. The kid is thirteen and over the course of his life these are few things he's ever wanted. Naturally, I hate refusing a request he has, so I went to war with husband to get the kid the game system he wanted. And eventually husband relented, and the kid practically crapped himself one Christmas when he saw the system—I think he was 9.

They are True Opposites

Conversely his younger brother loves being outdoors and even though he also doesn't throw so well, he's obviously better than his elder sibling. When we lived in California the kid was always tanned (yes, you can tan in fog), and I couldn't keep that kid inside the house or get him to watch TV if I paid him to unless it was raining hard outside, and even then he'd play under the covered porch. Just to be outdoors.


Ironically, everything he enjoys, like trying (and I do mean trying) to play basketball, or swinging on the swing set (a huge bonus when we moved to this house), husband refuses to make the back yard more kid friendly for him and daydreams of when the swing set finally falls apart so he can create some sort of garden retreat on that side of the yard.

Well, the swing set now is falling apart, and the side of the house is so overgrown with Himalayan blackberry, the underside of the deck is filled with husband's stuff, and the rest of yard is either has dog poop, or roses where Fredo knows not to play. So by default Husband has actually created a child that now prefers to be indoors because it's so less restrictive. Like his brother he does enjoy taking walks—in fact, he walk circles around all of us.

Varied Degrees of Winning

As I explained we did get the older son, a Game Cube, and he became rather addicted to it, when he started lying about not having any homework so he could play the games more, husband gave me a smug look. All the games were taken away until he was caught up and that lasted months from around March until June one year. That said, he learned from it, much to husband's chagrin, and has never had the problem since. He understands that things we do as a family come first, watching movies, playing board games, and going places. The video games are reserved for when there isn't anything else for him to do.

Now, I wasn't entirely surprised when one day while watching Star Trek: Voyager, he commented on a commercial, "Those Nintendo Wii systems look pretty cool, don't they mom?" I hadn't paid much attention to it before that but after knowing this kid as well as I do, I knew that was his way of saying he wanted one.

Speak Nicely and Make a Heavy Meal

So, I jotted down a few pluses for the Nintendo Wii, and planned to do a roast, garlic smashed potatoes and gravy topped with caramelized onions, and large Cesar salad (with real anchovies…yuck). I made my chocolate fudge brownies, topped with a layer of peanut butter, and then iced with chocolate frosting and opened a bottle of Zinfandel. I might have even lit candles, though I don't really recall now.

He came home to a stunningly clean house, the children quiet, and the scent of roast beef filling the air, I offered him a cocktail, gin and tonic, as he sat down. I didn't hand him the remote control, or offered to change to the channel on the TV because that would have seemed too obvious. After he finished the cocktail I set the table, and poured the wine, then called everyone to dinner, we talked about the day, and I didn't bring up the Wii. The timing had to be perfect.

After dinner, I cleaned the kitchen while he used the computer catching up on his avoided email, and then spending time working. I kept his wine glass filled. When the bottle was empty, it was time for the younger one to take his evening bath and then dessert. I glanced over my notes. Again, this was about timing.

After the kids went to bed, we settled down with the dog, on the sofa, and I sipped the only glass of wine I'd had that evening. I was nursing it, making it last until the commercial came on for the Wii. "Thank goodness, it's about time," I thought as I watched it, and then casually said to my husband, "you know, we should really think about that for Older Son. He mentioned it the other day, and it might be a good gift for him." I didn't make eye contact with husband, just continued with my plan, "You have to move your arms and such to make it work, but I think I heard that all the Game Cube Games will work with it (Of course I already knew damn well this was the case because I had researched it). He instantly replied that the answer was no. Unflinchingly, I continued, "he's worked so hard this year, and has done very well, next year he's going into middle school—it's just a shame since he never asks for much of anything." I had him and I knew it.

© 2007 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hub likes vid games. I like being outdoors. Kids do both. My kids don't really care about organized sport much. No biggie.

Judy said...

I think my older son might love you!

It seems like every one of his friends has a game cube or Xbox or Wii or something, so I figure he plays it at their house, we really don't NEED it at ours.

At least, not yet.

BUMBLE!!! said...

The wiley (i.e. conniving) woman can get anything that she wants... esp. with the promise of seductivity and food (us men are putty for being taken care of)!!

But alas... I'm sure that will make the kids happy and in the end, that's all that matters.

Anonymous said...

You're the master. Men are easy, but still....