Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I'm Still on the Fence


How Much is Your Time Worth?

I'm still mentally thinking about the landscaper and that $400 bill for a one time clean up. Mind you, that's just for the front yard. The question remains the same, do I want to pay $400 to have the landscaper clean up the front yard to their specifications or do I want to suck it up and do it myself while hoping I get it right. If I don't get it right, they'll charge me extra for the first visit. I don't want to go out there all day long, pulling weeds only to be charged on my first bill something like $300 bucks because they trimmed the plants too and picked up a few (well a lot) leaves. I'm not even complaining about the $156 dollars a month they're going to charge us for maintenance, since it's money well spent—at least for us, since neither of have the time to spend out there doing it all. I'd rather go out and do something fun with the kids, of course there is the problem since I'll be paying for this, I won't be able to afford to take the kids anywhere.

I called the landscaper in question, and they told me what they do for that 400 dollar clean up. They spray all the weeds, and trim all the plants, cleaning them up a little; basically get the yard ready for weekly service. Now I'm even less sure about this. The contract says it will take one day, but what if only takes two hours? Do they charge me less, well husband wants to know that and honestly I guess I don’t him.

I Would Like To Most Slap


The fool that came up for idea of usernames on websites for login purposes and I'm completely serious when I say I'd like to slap them. Each website today has their own login and password and each have different criteria for both. Some like to you to use your email address, while others like to annoy you with a name, which isn't really a problem unless you can't remember which you're supposed to use. Really, do I use bumblebutt@screwyou.com, or is it just bumblebutt and how the hell am I supposed to remember this?

So many websites have gone to the idea that stored passwords are evil that it's getting difficult to recall them all especially with the criteria changing seemingly daily. One website requires that the USERNAME contain at least one number in it; not the password (that requires mostly numbers and not in any order and ONE letter). I have issues with remembering my fucking phone number, how am I supposed to remember all this other crap too? Then we come to issue of multiple email accounts, somehow, without understanding how, I've got like a hundred of them! Can I ever remember which one I've used? That answer is simple, and if I could, there wouldn't be a point to this post.

I would also like to slap the people, that don't send emails to say hi, how are you, but instead use them to forward crap, like some little girl that never existed who has been missing for a year. Or that underarm deodorant that causes cancer, or tampons that contain asbestos, and every other foolish Urban Legend that seems to find it's way to my inbox. I'm not even getting started on the chain letters, which pontificate that my tits will fall off if I don't forward this message to at least 60 people in the next minute.

I'm Losing My Mind!

At least that's what I announced today, to which my son replied, "you know mom if it's gone for more than three days, it's lost forever."

It made me think about how many times I have misplaced something not too serious and was completely unable to locate it because of the apparent three-day expiration date. Important things are searched for until they are found, like the TV remote or car keys. But unimportant things, like a bill that's not due until next month, a book or a menu for a Chinese food place you like are often gone until you've either called to find out how much owe, replace the book or just go to the restaurant and wing the take out. Until he mentioned it, I never thought about it or gave it a lot of thought, so I further queried if I don't find my mind within three days, will I never find it again. He looked at me with a duh look on his face and said emphatically, "Oh you'll find it when you're looking for something else but you'll just pass over it, hoping you'll remember where you saw it later."

© 2007 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

$400 to clean up the yard and get it ready for $156 weekly maintenance?? Dang, I majored in the wrong thing in college!

And, oh, I hate when my "dear friends" forward me e-mail crap! Gee, how personal! Warning though, your tits WILL fall off.

BUMBLE!!! said...

If I win the essay contest ($5000) my time could be worth over $500 an hour (since I spent 8+ hours on it). That said, even a $500, 1000, or 2500 prize would make my time worth while. While I would settle for a $100, I think I'm worth more than 12 or so an hour.

As for the usernames, what's worse is deciphering the sign in code things. hotmails are the worst. bastards.

Enjoy the weekend and the official kickoff of summer.

BUMBLE!!! said...

Speed of lightning...