Friday, August 19, 2005

The possum and the bug.....

Last night, around midnight, I went outside to the van to make certain it was locked when I heard a rustling in the plum tree behind me. I kinda screamed (not very loud--Loud screams were saved for the next day) and thanks to the Porch light, I saw a possum, up close and personal. He was kinda cute sitting in the tree, pulling plums off and eating them. Meanwhile dh drove up, he'd gone to the store to get something, and saw me outside, I showed him Mr. Possum.

We watched for a few minutes, commenting on how calm it was, not moving but just kinda going about his business of eating plums. I had no idea they have thumbs...He would grasp the fruit like a person somewhat and take a bite.

The following morning (today), I went outside to collect the rest of plums I could reach, I noted about 16 plum pits laying on the ground (guess possum's spit out the pits too). So, I'm picking about (I'm not kidding) thirty pounds of plums off the tree, I reach for one and four fall off the tree hitting me in the head nearly each time. I leave the plums in the garage and come into the house. Naturally, the phone is ringing so I answer it, have a cigarette and chat with inlaws about everything I'd done today so far. Then I sit at the computer and start reading some email when I felt something bite me, I look down and on my shirt was this caterpillar like thing, except it wasn't like any caterpillar I'd ever seen.

I jump up and scream bloody murder, it falls off my shirt and lands on the keyboard, and shits on it, I try to pick it up but it moves too quickly (I was shocked), and it falls off the business card I'm using to collect it, to the floor. Again I scream (louder this time) the dog and Fredo are jumping all over the place and I'm screaming. I find a gift bag and stick it inside, meanwhile, dh comes down stairs to see what the ruckus was about as I'm bringing the thing outside, still in the bag.

I tell him the story about the fast moving caterpillar as I dump it out on the sidewalk, he looks at it, then at me saying, "yeah that moves really quick." I look down the little fucker isn't moving at all. I told him it shit on the keyboard of the computer he just pointed out that I scared it. I bend down to touch it, and it starts moving....RIGHT toward MY foot! Dh admits the thing did move a little quicker than he seen a caterpillar move (it was fuzzy but moved more like a centipede or something like that) . Yes I squished it and I'd do it again.
The image “http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512/2089045.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

It's the one on the left and it's called fall webworm. UGH

4 comments:

-- said...

Ooooh I HATE bugs! If there's a fly in my room, I scream, and if I see a bee of any kind I just drop everything I'm doing and run. if I were you (with the catepillar like thing) i would probably have had a heart attack.

Whimsical Ranter said...

Thanks for the comments...always wondered if anyone else read this thing.

Whimsical Ranter said...

Oh and Pearl (very pretty name btw),

I freak out too around bees...they are awful things.

And don't get me started on spiders

Melanie said...

It's really cute.