Friday, February 20, 2009

What If?

Would we be better off if McCain had won the election?

One month after Obama's inauguration his approval rating has dropped and this is not surprising, but the bigger question remains would we be better off had McCain won. I don't believe for a moment a McCain White House could cause our country to do an economic 180. I doubt it would be any worse and I also doubt his approval rating would be much higher. I do however feel the stimulus package would look differently and that could be better or worse (notice I'm not making a judgement call on this). I'm certain it would included a lot more tax cuts, in the hopes of it trickling down to the little folks in a couple years, but meanwhile the little folks might be in worse shape. Since we all understand most of the day to day purchase power lies with them, businesses will fail. However, I also feel throwing a few bucks at them isn't help much either.

I did find this to be interesting...

What does everyone else think? I find it interesting that our exports are starting to look more like that of a 3rd world country than an economic superpower. However maybe I'm wrong, maybe someone else with more knowledge has a different take.


© 2009 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved


2 comments:

Judy said...

My thoughts last fall were that it wouldn't matter who was elected, it was going to be rough for them no matter what. And that's what we're seeing.

This crisis/issue/problem - call it what you will - is much bigger than Republican or Democrat or any other party. It is deep, it is painful, and Joe Public hasn't even seen the half of it yet, I'm afraid.

Hang on - I'm sure this is going to be a bumpy ride...

Purple Crayon said...

Yes, it is true that either candidate was going to have a tough job with this mess we are in. The difference is that the HOPE candidate has decided to abandon that message, and to warn us just about daily about the doom and gloom. Were the President speaking in hopeful terms instead, we would be seeing a something of a stock market bounce. Instead, the market just keeps dropping and dropping every time the man (or one of his appointees) opens his mouth. The financial problem is multi-faceted, but one of the major facets is the crisis in confidence. I am disappointed that the candidate for HOPE is not trying to inspire confidence in our free market system. I HOPE his new perception does not ruin us.