Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chasing Santa

For the past five Christmases we've lived here each year around the same time, we'd hear the sirens, and someone talking on a loudspeaker wishing everyone in the area a Merry Christmas. When I say sirens I mean lots of sirens as if a 5 alarm fire were burning out of control. I'd hear them but never see them around so I didn't think much about it until the following year and with the same result. One year I recall it was raining so I guess we missed it completely. Another year, I had seen a sign while walking the dog but didn't put it together until...

This year; I saw the sign saying that Santa would be conducting an Operation Santa fundraiser, which is in effect a Fire Fighter parade (I later learned that on our local fire department's website), where they cover the big engines in lights and travel different neighborhoods with sirens blaring and Santa seated on top of one of the engines. It didn't give a time but I knew it happened in the evening. As I stood outside, talking to Piss-boy about the holidays I heard the sirens, and thought DAMN!

I flew into the house yelled for Fredo to get his jacket on, being 8PM the kiddo was already in his jammies, but he complied, putting on his heavy winter coat, and shoes. The boys were in the van while the dog barked out warnings, and I relented yelling for Dumbass to run to the van. He did...if something exciting was happening or if the whole neighborhood was burning to the ground, he wasn't hanging around, he was going with his pack.

I had no idea what they took for donations but I figured cash always works and thankfully this year I had 20 bucks in my wallet.

We drove down the street and saw the firefighters leaving our area, and moving on to the next, which I had no clue where exactly it was, I saw them turn down a street but being behind them...well there wasn't enough room. I whipped around, and turned down a different street, yes I made a couple illegal u-turns, and I'm grateful the cops were busy elsewhere, so I drove down a different street and saw them coming toward me.

I flagged down the lead engine, and they said they'd be thrilled to take the cash (they really need every type of donation they can get especially this year). He said to hold my hand out the window and they'd come by. Fredo was in the back seat ooohing and ahhhing at the massive size of the engines while Dumbass stood beside him poised to attack in case the big vehicles stormed us. As they continued to drive by, the kids waving, and them waving back to us, one vehicle pulled close, it was the HUGE engine covered in lights and carrying Santa, I reached my hand out the window and handed the money to the driver, he held on to my hand for a minute and thanked me for the donation. It felt personal. It felt good.

Finally it feels like Christmas.


© 2008 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved




2 comments:

Judy said...

That is an AWESOME story.

Abby said...

WOW!