Monday, January 19, 2009

Lots of Stuff

How Many Resolutions Have Already Been Blown?

I had every intention of keeping each of my resolutions but sometimes life just sucks. First week back to school for the kids was hell. I got a phone call from a hysterical family member in California saying that Grandma was in the hospital (it turned out that was ONLY bit of information they got right). The downside is my grandmother had to move again, but the upside is she gets to return to the area she liked. There are people able and willing to pick her up now and bring her to the church she loves. She'll get to go to her old hairdresser each week, and the place she'll be going into will bring her to the doctor and take care of all her meds so she won't have to think about them.

I have pondered if it's not time to bring her up here to live near us but decided actually against it because she would know no one here except us and we're just not that entertaining. Too many strikes against moving her up here at this time, I want her to be able to enjoy living there and see the people she wants to see for as long as she's able. She certainly wouldn't get that up here with just us. It's such a double edge sword though because I know she misses all of us but after the first few weeks she'd also become very bored with her life up here.

Meanwhile while all this was going on, I had to deal with issues involving Fredo and school; times are bad, school budgets are the first cut and I was worried they would be compelled to get rid of his aid. Fredo, is on the spectrum for Autism, and since he seems to learn best in a one to one setting, we had to fight the school to get him what he needs. This year from the beginning he's had an aid helping him transition. It's been wonderful! We went from last year worrying about him being able to stay in his school to this year where he's actually starting to excel. He's taking what he learns during the one to one, and bringing it into the classroom. I'm thrilled, he's thrilled. He's not over relying on the aid, but instead just using her when he needs some additional direction. He's transitioning in his schedule very well now, and no longer wanders with a lost feeling. His outbursts, anxiety are also greatly diminished. I can't say enough good things that have happened just since September.

So there it is, the good and the bad for the first weeks of 2009.

The other resolutions, like sticking to the food budget, losing weight and healthy eating haven't really been happening but I'm working on them. I've been under a lot of stress lately and it's easier when feeling harried, to slip into old more comfortable habits. But all that said, my knee is feeling much better these days and I'm ready to start walking again, I just need to remember slow down a little and try to enjoy the walk.

On the upside, I haven't complained about our weather. I have observed that its been windy lately but it was more of an observation and I'm not really complaining about it, unless we get high wind on school nights. Behind our house we have lots of extra tall Cedar trees and I do sometimes worry when the wind starts really whipping about one falling and hitting our house. Fredo's bedroom faces those trees so if the winds get really bad (in the 50+ mph range) I make him sleep downstairs.

Over the weekend Piss-boy turned 15, leaving me to seriously wonder where the time has gone. We had the car discussion with him and he said he's in no hurry to get his permit. He said he feels it's too soon to think about it after all, he's only been sitting in the front seat for a couple years now. He honestly is the only kid I've ever known that isn't in a hurry to grow up. Maybe that's not such a bad thing.



© 2009 Whimsical Ranter
All Rights Reserved


4 comments:

Judy said...

There's no such animal as growing up too slowly - enjoy the time with Piss-boy.

Abby said...

Okay! Thanks for the update.

Great news with Fredo's school!

Chaco just turned 15 too. He hasn't actually voiced that he's in no rush to learn to drive, I just haven't gone there.

Dan said...

Time does fly. I was here the other day and I was going to comment, but that didn't quite happen. Then again, we had the e-mail about this stuff, so I'll just say whatever happens, I'm sure you'll do the right thing and remember - for all that you do and want to do, you're a good person.

Keep up with those resolutions!

Mariposa said...

Oh, I hope for the best for Fredo...may he continue to have great progess!

And I agree with your decision with regards to your Grandma...

Wish you well for ther other stuff...you can do it! ;)

Gon xi Fa Cai (yes, it's Chinese New Year!)